The Mercedes-Benz GLS: The S-Class of SUVs
The three-row, family-oriented Mercedes-Benz GLS is widely considered to be the “S-Class of SUVs.” Why is that? And what does GLS mean? Mercedes-Benz of Eugene answers these questions and more for curious Roseburg and Corvallis luxury SUV shoppers in the guide below!
Mercedes-Benz GLS Key Features
If you ask the team at Mercedes-Benz of Eugene, there are two answers to the question, “what does GLS stand for?” There’s the aforementioned literal meaning, but we also think it stands for a first-class, unrivaled driving experience. At the top of the Mercedes-Benz SUV lineup, the GLS boasts an outstanding array of standard interior features including:
- Up to 84.7 cubic feet of cargo space
- Heated and ventilated, power front seats w/ memory
- Power liftgate
- 4-zone automatic climate control
- Power tilt/sliding sunroof
- Power-folding side mirrors
- 3 years of Mercedes me connect services
- Infrared-remote window opening and closing
- Retractable luggage cover
- Household-type 115V power outlet
- and so much more!
For some of its owners, this standard fare provided in the GLS 450 SUV represents the best Mercedes-Benz offers. However, many opt for more luxury, technology, and safety in their GLS SUV. The wide array of personalization options – including 11 exterior colors, 8 interior upholsteries, and 7 interior trim choices – help to make the GLS desirable for the most discriminating Springfield family. For a complete luxury package, there are two designo® interior options styled with exclusive Nappa® leather in unique color and trim schemes.
Explore GLS Packages and AMG® Upgrades
The GLS also has a dark side. The Night Package in the GLS 580 SUV offers an ultra-sleek look with a deep Gloss Black finish applied to the front splitter, grille crossbar, side window surrounds, side mirrors, roof rails, and rear bumper insert.
Of course, the ultimate in the lineup is the AMG® GLS 63 SUV. No other vehicle of its kind can do what this SUV can do – go fast for the enjoyment of everyone on board. That’s because there are 603 horses running through the 4.0L V8 biturbo with EQ Boost under the hood. How fast, you ask? About 4.1 seconds going 0-60 mph.
The GLS Meaning Exhibits “The Best or Nothing”
To be a Mercedes-Benz, you must exhibit “the best or nothing” when it comes to keeping everyone safe and the vehicle stable. The DYNAMIC SELECT® feature allows the driver to choose the right setting to match the terrain or condition the GLS will encounter. Four preset modes include ECO, Comfort, Sport, and Off-Road, with the addition of an Individual mode you can personalize to your needs.
Once the AIRMATIC® Suspension switch is enabled, the ride height can be adjusted to enable the GLS to clear obstacles that would otherwise hinder the progress of other SUVs of its kind.
What Does GLS Mean?
What does GLS stand for? Each individual letter is significant to the GLS meaning:
- G – The G stands for Gelandewagen or “cross-country vehicle.” Every Mercedes-Benz SUV starts with the letter G to pay homage to the original G-Class SUV – the ground-breaking Mercedes-Benz capable of going anywhere in any condition.
- L – In the greater GLS meaning, the L stands for Leicht, or “lightweight.” Very fitting, given how the GLS serves as a light-duty family transporter, although it has high capabilities of its own.
- S – Finally, there is the letter S. How does it factor into the GLS meaning? The S stands for Sonderklasse or “special class.” This is befitting of the GLS personality. It offers the best accommodations and performance for up to seven very special people.
More History of the GLS
After gaining insight into the GLS meaning, perhaps you’re wondering a bit more about the history of the GLS. Currently, the GLS is in its 3rd generation, having first been introduced to the industry back in 2006! Let’s take a brief look at how the GLS has evolved over the years:
- 1st Generation (2006 – 2012) – Upon its release, the GLS was the very first 7-passenger SUV produced by Mercedes-Benz.
- 2nd Generation (2013 – 2019) – The GLS entered its 2nd generation with several improvements, including the introduction of an engine start/stop system (known in today’s GLS models as ECO-START®). It was also in the 2nd generation that an AMG® GLS variant became available.
- 3rd Generation (2020 – ) – Now, we arrive at the GLS of today! It provides two powerful engine options and a seemingly endless array of high-end features and amenities, which we’ll talk more about in the next section.
Experience the GLS at Mercedes-Benz of Eugene
All of these great innovations and superb luxury and performance options all lead to one thing: The GLS is indeed the “S-Class of SUVs!” Contact us at Mercedes-Benz of Eugene to learn more about the GLS today.
More from Mercedes-Benz of Eugene
Driving an emission-free electric vehicle is one thing – but what about the factories where the vehicles are actually produced? Mercedes-Benz has always stood for technical innovation, performance, & safety. Now, another integral component of their brand philosophy is sustainability. In March 2021, Mercedes-Benz announced its factories worldwide would eventually obtain electricity purely…
You’ve probably come across “MBUX Multimedia System” or “MBUX Technology” and asked yourself, “What does MBUX mean?” MBUX stands for Mercedes-Benz User Experience. Once you find out what this intelligent infotainment system is capable of, your next question will most likely be, “Which Mercedes-Benz models have MBUX?” We’ll answer that question and more FAQs…
If you’re in the market for a new luxury SUV that provides comfort and style passengers on your drives around Eugene, take a look at the 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA interior. With ample cargo space and advanced connectivity, the GLA is a dream to drive! Explore the 2021 Mercedes-Benz GLA interior features and dimensions here,…